Student Government Plans Homecoming, Service

SGA members decorating a wall for Spirit Week last year,

Each year, the Student Government Association (SGA) plans Spirit Week, five school days of dressing up, a pep rally before the big football game on Friday, and the annual Homecoming dance on Saturday. This year, the fun will begin on Monday, October 7 with the dance on Saturday, October 12.

As of now, the theme of Homecoming is being finalized, but it will be a Roaring Twenties/Great Gatsby based theme. This theme could include elegant black and white as well as flashy twenties decorations. “Homecoming this year will be different because it’s a completely new theme that’s never been done before. It’s really unique and requires some creativity on our part, but I think the students will enjoy it,” said SGA President junior Kara Roberts.

One of the sponsors of SGA, English teacher Ms. Jaime Culp, is new to the organization. “I’m really excited about Homecoming with the Gatsby theme. And I’m glad I have Ms. Morrow helping me since she is so experienced with SGA,” said Culp. Roberts is happy to have both Science teacher Ms. Danielle Morrow and Culp as sponsors. “Ms. Morrow is such a pro at this by now and such a great sponsor. I’ve heard great things about Ms. Culp and I know she’ll add a lot to our club,” said Roberts.

Sophomore Lauren Cutlip and juniors Kara Roberts and Jenna Whittington making blankets last year for the Ronald McDonald House.

As a new sponsor of the SGA, Culp would like to implement more community service into the club. “I decided to do this because I really wanted to be more involved with the student body. It’s a great club to do community service, too,” she said. Last year, a few projects the organization worked on included making blankets for the Ronald McDonald House and decorating Easter eggs to send to the Calvert Memorial Hospital in Prince Frederick for their child patients.

Roberts also believes that being engaged in the community is important. “I really want to get involved in community projects and to make everyone more aware of what SGA does for our school and community,” said Roberts. The sponsors, executive board, and members of the SGA are excited for the upcoming year.

To see a WNHS-TV story about Spirit Week 2012, click here.
– Julianne Ogden, The Patriot Press

Skip to toolbar