Getting Involved: National Honor Society and National Art Honor Society

Part of a series of posts about the organizations at NHS in which you can get involved.

Northern High School offers several exclusive honor societies for top students. While the National Honor Society (NHS) is the most well known, the National Art Honors Society’s (NAHS) achievements and service is also very praiseworthy. Whether its raising money for charities or face painting for the community, NHS and NAHS members are helping to better the county. “This year, we plan on doing more for the community, maybe painting lessons or face painting at the farmers market,” said Mrs. Laura Rozengota, the five-year sponsor of NAHS.

“I look for students who have an interest in art and helping the community,” said Rozengota. Although NAHS hasn’t chosen its members for the 2012-2013 school year, students are already looking forward to applying for the club. “I want to meet new people and have it look good on my college applications,” said junior Jessica Untch.  She took Photography One last year, and is currently enrolled in Advanced Photography,  “I like photography a lot because it’s a lot of freedom and you get to be creative and express yourself.”

Last year, NAHS focused on “beautifying the county with their artwork,” said Rozengota.  The members painted faces at the county fair and painted “Love on Her Arms” on the arms of students to raise money for a charity that helps to prevent bullying. NAHS members also supported Angel Tree with their artwork.

Officers Matt Schwartz, Maggie Gottlieb, Sam Collins and Tim Addison and sponsor Mr. Robert Riccardo run a National Honor Society interest meeting earlier in the year.

The National Honor Society, and its eleven-year sponsor Mr. Robert Riccardo, is also preparing to start their application process. “When I choose members for National Honors Society, I look for students who are potential leaders and those who have good character,” said Riccardo. The biggest goal NHS has for this year is to challenge its members and create and motivate leaders.

Riccardo has many responsibilities as NHS sponsor. “I oversee the monthly meetings, service projects, choose the inductees, and make sure all the members are up to the national standards of NHS in the school and in the community,” he said. NHS also participates in community service projects. “Some of NHS’s big events include the fall induction ceremony, and service projects like Project ECHO, volunteering in senior centers, and with the humane society,” said Riccardo.

By raising money for charities and helping around the community, these honor societies help better our county.
–Emily Bennett and Jess Ward, The Patriot Press

Skip to toolbar