Students and Teachers Prepare for Black Friday

http://bfads.net/ offers an early look at all the Black Friday deals.

Sophomore Marina Griffiths sets her alarm and prepares for her big moment at the mall. Black Friday and Cyber Monday are two of the  biggest shopping days of the year when people start spending their paychecks and crossing items off their holiday lists.  Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving when people wake up early to be the first to catch the amazing holiday sales. Cyber Monday is the start of the following week, when online stores radically mark down their prices for a day.

Both days you can get items for practically nothing, but people often prefer one over the other. Some people like the thrill of waking up early and fighting through the mob of people in order to get their holiday gifts. Griffiths said, “I would rather go to Black Friday because it brings out everyone’s holiday spirit, and you’re able to try on clothes you want for Christmas.” Others enjoy shopping from the comfort of their home while drinking warm hot chocolate. “I like Cyber Monday a lot better than Black Friday, because I can curl up on the couch and order everything I want without standing outside in the cold weather waiting to get inside the stores,” said junior Kristina Lozupone.

Black Friday features huge holiday sales at most of the big chain stores like Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Kohl’s.  Smaller stores don’t want to compete with them, so this year they’ve established Small Business Saturday, pledging big sales at small locally owned stores the day after the Black Friday rush.

Several websites offer a preview of Black Friday bargains by offering illicitly obtained scans of sale ads far in advance. For example, according to bfads.net, Best Buy will offer a 42” Sharp HDTV for under $200. Target  will offer 34% off each hit movie on DVD making them only $13. “I like Black Friday a lot. I save an amazing amount of money for it. Last year, I bought an iPod Touch for almost half the price,” Said Junior Eric Hoffman.

Other third party websites like 2011blackfridayads.com are a great source of where to find the deals you’re looking for. Junior Josh Martin is always trying to get one step ahead of his fellow shoppers. “The ad websites help me save money for stuff on Black Friday. They give me an idea of the things I’m going to look for on that day. So I can plan on when and where I will shop.”

Black Friday is a tradition for many families. “For the past five years, my cousins have stayed the night at my house Thanksgiving night, and wake up around 3 a.m. to get a head start on Black Friday shopping,” explained Griffiths.

No matter which day you choose to shop, you have to act fast. Popular items will sell out in minutes. If you don’t get the items you want ether day, you might not be able to get them for a good price in time the holidays.

–Christian Harrison, The Patriot Press

Skip to toolbar