Two New Clubs During Lunch Plus More

Model U.N.

This year, instead of staying in the cafeteria both A and B lunch, students have more opportunities to go to clubs and other activities during lunch.  Some students have taken the initiative to start their own clubs, and offer something new. Sophomore Ian Bonanno said, ” There was a club for most other things, so I thought other people had to have started them. Why can’t I start my own?” Bonanno and sophomore Janine Ivy decided to start a Model UN. “We will be looking at current events on the world stage,” Bonanno said,” and learning about foreign cultures and countries, and deepening interest in global politics.

“I thought that students should have a chance to get interested in foreign policy and find out what is happening in the world. It’s good to learn to see different sides of the same issue,” Ivy said. “Cultural understanding is a huge part of my life.” If you have an idea for a new club, you have to first find a teacher to sponsor the organization, write a set of goals and a description of the club, and then get the principal to approve the idea. The process of starting a club can be grueling, but in the end it can be worth it. The Model U.N. held their first meeting in early October. Look for announcements of other meetings soon.

Psychology Club

Signs in the hallways saying that the first rule of the Psychology Club was not to mention the Psychology Club announced the first meeting of this new group that meets every Thursday during A Lunch. You don’t have to be in Psychology class to be in the club. “Psychology applies to everyone’s life,” said club sponsor Ms. Carrie Young.

“We play games, share fun facts, and we do charity work,” said Young. “It’s for fun, and learning happens during the fun we’re having.” The club is large, and there is always a chance to make new friends. Young said some of her goals for the group are, “To help people become excited about psychology and to realize psychology can be applied to life.” Near the end of the first meeting, everyone in the group was laughing at each other and having a great time. Young stated that she was satisfied with the start of the group and the students seemed like they were too.

–Claire Gautrois, Skylar Mealing, The Patriot Press

Skip to toolbar