Should High School Students Trick-or-Treat?

As darkness fell last October 31, sophomore Emilee Wilson finally left her house. Children flooded the street and she and her friends towered over them,  quickly approaching their first target – the pink house in the middle of her street. Eagerly, they rushed over and all gave the green door a loud knock. The owner, anticipating this, quickly opened the door, but was shocked to find an adult-sized Tinkerbelle surrounded by a bee, a crayon, and a vampire of approximately the same height. In a chorus, Wilson and her friends yelled, “Trick-or-Treat!”

Each year on Halloween, a number of parties are held, pranks are carried out, and haunted houses are decorated to frighten guests. This holiday is about testing one of our most powerful emotions, fear. The main event of the evening, trick-or-treating, is in the spirit of fun without all the scares and pranks so children don’t have to be afraid. But is trick-or-treating only for children? “If you are just going to walk around with your friends and maybe stop by some houses in costume, of course, that is acceptable,” stated senior Nicole White.

Though trick-or-treating is mostly enjoyed by children, teenagers and even adults can have fun when they participate. “I was really happy,” Wilson said. “I was with my friends hanging out and trick-or-treating in our silly outfits having a great time on my favorite holiday.” Whether it’s walking around to see the diverse and amusing costumes, collecting candy from your neighbors, or just hanging out with your friends, everyone can have fun trick-or-treating. English and Journalism I teacher Ms. Stephanie Milton said, “If you’re going out…to see your neighbors, share some apple cider, enjoy the frightful decorations, and not just to hoard candy, then it’s more in the spirit of community and fun.”

“It’s about keeping the kid inside me alive,” Wilson stated. Teenagers, especially at at the high school level, are expected to let go of their childish habits as the first stages of adulthood come to them. Halloween, however, is an exception. “When I’m trick-or-treating,” junior Shannon Murphy said, “I feel just like I did when I was a kid. It’s just a really fun time!” Trick-or-treating as a teenager is a great way to remember childhood memories as well as a short escape from the adult world.

82% of Northern students plan to attend a party for Halloween according to a Patriot Press Survey. “It’s fine that Shannon still trick-or-treats,” Murphy’s mother, Carla, said. “It’s better than her going out and causing trouble like some kids.”

Is trick-or-treating only for children? Milton answered, “One is never too old for trick-or-treating.”

–Chelsea Stolt, The Patriot Press

Skip to toolbar