Q&A with Pom Julie Blum

BlumSenior Julie Blum has been on Poms for three years. The team, which has won several state championships, has struggled this year, getting a coach late and trying to rush forward into performance season.

1. Q: What are your expectations for the new year?

A: This year will be a bit different from last year because we have new coaches. So far, we are all doing the best we can to catch up since our season started late. I expect we will have another great season once we all get used to it.

2. Q: How do the new coaches compare to (previous coach) Mrs. Hitchman?

A: The new coaches have been doing great. They have realized and taken into consideration all the hand work Mrs. Hitchman has done in the past and are trying to keep as much the same as they can.

3. Q: Are the girls still following the same rituals as in past years?

A: The girls are still expected to reach the high standards that we have had in the past. We are still doing most of the same rituals as before but we are still learning as we go.

4. Q: IHow did the first game go?

A: The first game went great for poms, football not so much. We all worked really hard to prepare for our first performance in the short amount of time we had.

5. Q: Do you help make up the dances?

A: Yes, the girls all get a chance to help make up dances, and we get a lot from the camp we attend. It is very time consuming and takes up hours of dedication.

6. Q:  How do practices differ from last year?

A: Practices are on different days this year and are cut back by a half hour. Otherwise, we still work just as hard.

The Pom Squad

The Pom Squad

7. Q: Do you have any pregame rituals?

A: In past years, we had team dinners and we will start that soon. It helps with team bonding.

8. Q: What happens when you mess up a dance?

A: If you mess up in a dance, you always keep going. To improve, we take turns watching each other and practice, practice, practice!

9. Q: Will you be going back into competitions this spring after missing last year?

A: In spring, we are planning and hoping to attend competitions. We have a ways to go before we are ready though.

10. Q: How do you feel about being a senior on poms?

A: This year is my last year, so I am enjoying every minute of it while it lasts. I will miss it a lot and all of the new friends I have made. I hope to keep in touch with everyone and watch the squad grow.

–Katie Ianni & Julia Hause, The Patriot Press

Skip to toolbar