Summer Plans

europe-mapThe long waited summer is finally here for Northern Students. A typical summer consists of swimming, relaxing, vacations, summer reading, and hanging with friends. But some students have plans that are not so typical.

Freshman Naomi Underwood will be adventuring through Europe for three weeks of her summer. Underwood, along with her brother, junior Harrison Underwood, and their parents will be visiting a World War Two battle site. This site is where Underwood’s grandfather’s war plane was shot down. “I’m excited for the experience to see all of Europe and witness where my Grandfather’s plane was shot down, but I’m bummed that it is taking up three weeks of my summer,” said Underwood.

Summer lacrosse league will only take up weekends of junior Kevin Fleming’s summer. Fleming is involved with two summer teams, the Cannons, which is the Northern Lacrosse team and the Rockfish, an Anne Arundel select team. “It’s good to be on a lot of different teams because you’re getting to play against different competition and practice more which will make me a better player for my senior year,” said Fleming. Juniors Patrick Cleary, Justin Wood, and Alex Cranford are also a part of the Rockfish team who are spending their weekends improving their skills.

Selfish is the last word someone would use to describe most Northern students. Two churches will be going on mission trips to help with various activities. Jesus the Good Shepherd Church’s mission group includes Junior Jake Cummings, Sophomores Carly Huseman, Michelle Marinaccio, and Carleigh Ryman, and Freshman Madison Marinaccio are traveling to Arkansas. “We’re going to help run a summer camp for a local area in Arkansas for one week,” said Cummings.

Another Church that is leaving home for ten days to assist people in need are students from Chesapeake Church. Juniors Miranda Honaker, Candace Friedman, and Brandon Larson are going to Honduras for their church mission trip. “We’ll be helping to build a health clinic, visiting schools and orphanages,” said Honaker. For all three juniors it will be their first time on a mission trip and they are looking forward to the experience. “The trip is going to be very rewarding personally because I’ll know that I made a difference to a lot of kids who didn’t have a health clinic before and now have somewhere to go when they are sick,” said Larson.

Since summer has been reduced to two months, Northern students are not wasting any of their time. Between vacations, sports, and church mission trips, students are set for a busy summer.

– Sam Swann, Ashlynn Merrell, Sam Simms, The Patriot Press

Skip to toolbar