Q & A: Katie Ianni

Ianni on Maya

Ianni on Maya

Maryland is known for equestrian events. It was the first state in the nation to introduce horse racing, and throughout the state, people pursue horse riding as a hobby. Rising senior Katie Ianni has dedicated herself to equestrian pursuits for years and recently got her own horse.

Q: What caused you to make the commit to the responsibility of owning your own horse?

A: I had been riding for about four years before I really looked into owning my own horse. I love horseback riding, so I wanted to take it to the next level and train a horse myself

Q: Have you trained your horse to do any special tricks?

A: So far, I have just trained Maya to jump. The highest she has jumped is three feet, but regularly we just jump two feet six inches.

Q: How well was Maya trained when you first got her?

A: She was not trained at all when I bought her. She was a racing horse for about a year and a half, so when they sold her to me she had not been trained at all.

Q: How often do you have to work with Maya?

A: Usually, I work with her five to six days every week at the TRW Farms where I board her.

Q: Do you compete with Maya?

A: Our first show together was June 20, and for this competition I entered Maya into a beginner horse class because it is her first show.

Q: What do you plan to do with Maya when you leave for college?

A: I’m either going to sell her or lease her out to someone else while I’m away at school.

Q: Do you plan on owning more horses after college?

A: Yes, after college I would like to own more horses and continue to train them because I have had such good experiences with it.

Q: Does owning a horse effect you social life at all?

A: Yes, I’ll make plans with my friends and then something will come up with Maya forcing me to either have to cancel or come late to hanging out with my friends.

Q: Is owning Maya worth giving up on some of your social life?

A: Yes and no. I love what I’m doing with Maya, but it is difficult having to miss out on things with my friends. In the end, I’m happy to spend a majority of my time doing something productive and an activity that I enjoy that will benefit me later in life.

Q: How hard has it been training a green horse and what has been the single most difficult task you have had to accomplish?    

A: The most difficult thing is not losing patience with her. Training a horse takes a lot of time and effort to thouroughly teach her the skills she needs. Overall, it has been a challenge making time to work with her and then actually working with her to make sure she has mastered the skills, but Maya is such a great horse and usually learns quickly and does whatever I tell her to do, which is always nice and makes my job easier.

–Julia Hause and Dan Hill, The Patriot Press

Skip to toolbar